Residence Life

Residence Life

The Residence Life program recognizes that learning extends beyond the classroom and continues into the areas in which students live. Therefore, Residence Life seeks to be an integral part of the educational opportunities at Mercyhurst and strives to create an environment which enhances student growth socially, culturally, physically, and emotionally while fostering academic success. All traditional undergraduate students are required to live on campus in University housing unless they live at home with parents/guardians AND are designated “commuter” by the Admissions Office. 

Approximately 90 percent of traditional freshmen live on campus in residence halls. Mercyhurst views campus housing as a necessary privilege. Resident students are required to sign a housing contract for one full academic year. If after submitting this contract, the student decides to leave campus housing at any time or withdraws from the University during that academic year, the student will be responsible for a $500.00 breach of contract charge. If a student withdraws or leaves the University during the semester within the occupancy period, housing and board charges will be refunded according to the University refund schedule.

Residents must leave housing when the residential areas close for the break period. Should extenuating circumstances require that a student remain in residence during one of these periods, prior approval must be obtained from the Residence Life Office and students must register for the time period. Students permitted to remain in residence over breaks may be reassigned to alternative housing for the break period. All freshman housing areas close for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Spring breaks, and at the end of semesters.

Freshman housing includes: Warde Hall, housing 300 students; McAuley Hall, housing 175 men and Baldwin Hall, housing 200 women. Each freshman residence hall has its own laundry areas, vending machines, and lounges. An Assistant Director, a live-in professional administrator, oversees the freshman residence halls. Each hall is directly supervised by a Hall Director, a live-in graduate student, who is assisted by Resident Assistants.

Freshmen living on campus are required to have a meal plan at the University.

Sophomore housing includes Duval Hall and Ryan Hall. Duval Hall houses 91students. Each Duval apartment houses four students, two per bedroom a living room and kitchen area, and a large vanity with two sinks. Duval Hall is a co-educational facility by apartment. There are two common laundry facilities within the building. The building is supervised by a Hall Director and two Resident Assistants. Sophomores residing in Ryan Hall are required to be on one of three University meal plan options. Ryan Hall is home to the 501 Grille dining area and the Anchor Express grab and go option. Ryan Hall houses 350 students in four-person bedroom suites, with a common living room and snack preparation area. Laundry rooms are located on each floor. Ryan Hall also houses two conference rooms, special lounge areas and study rooms. There are two resident assistants per floor and a full time-live-in staff member directly supervises the area. 

Upperclassmen live in apartments or townhouses. Each apartment consists of two bedrooms, a living room, bathroom, and kitchen. These apartments house four residents (limited triples may be available.) There are 17 townhouses available for 6-person occupancy, three 5-person townhouses, and six 4-persontownhouses. Townhouses generally have three bedrooms, one and a half bathrooms, and modern kitchen/dining areas. Many, but not all, townhouses have full basements, with washers and dryers, and central air conditioning. Upperclassman housing areas are supervised by Assistant Directors, live-in professional administrators, who are assisted by Resident Assistants. 

Off-Campus Living
All traditional undergraduate students are required to live on campus in University housing unless they live at home with parents/guardians AND are designated “commuter” by the Admissions Office. In rare cases, exemptions to the residency requirement may be granted. An off-campus lease will not be considered a reason for an exemption to be granted. Completing the Off-Campus Exemption form does not guarantee that approval will be given. The University reserves the right to limit the number of students approved to live off campus. Off Campus Exemption forms are found on the Residence Life web page:

Degrees & Certificates
Course Descriptions