A student’s residency status determines the amount of tuition/fees that will be charged. A student will be charged at either the In-County or Out-of-County rate based on the criteria defined below.
***Pursuant to regulations N.J.A.C. 9A:5 & 9A:9-2.6– Middlesex County College determines residency based on four criteria:
1. Location of Permanent Domicile – The place in which a person has his or her fixed, permanent home and principal establishment, and to which, whenever he or she is absent, he or she has the intention of returning. International students, students with a permanent domicile outside NewJersey and those not meeting the New Jersey residency requirements will be charged the Out-Of-County Tuition/Fee Rates.
2. Length of Time at Permanent Domicile – New Jersey Residency for 12 months prior to the first day of classes for a semester/session.
3. County Residency - Middlesex County Residency for 30 days prior to the first day of classes for a semester/session.
4. Dependent/Independent student defined
(a) The term independent, when used with respect to a student, means any individual who:
• Is 24 years of age or older by December 31 of the award year; • Meets at least one of the requirements in (b) below.
(b) A student meets the requirements for independent status if such individual:
• Is an orphan or ward of the court or was a ward of the court until age 18; • Is a veteran of the Armed Forces of the United States;
• Is a graduate or professional student; • Is a married individual;
• Has legal dependents other than a spouse who live with the student and receive more than half of their support from the student;
• Is currently serving on active duty in the United States Armed Forces for other than State purposes or training; or
• Is a student for whom a financial aid administrator makes a documented determination of independence by reason of other unusual circumstances
as provided under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, 20 U.S.C. § 1087vv, and its implementing regulations and rules.
(c) A dependent student shall be any student who does not meet any of the eligibility criteria listed in (a) or (b) above for independent student status. Dependent students are presumed to be domiciled in the state in whcih their parent(s) or legal guardian(s) are domiciled.
EVIDENCE OF RESIDENCY*
1. A signed Residency Declaration Form declaring the student’s permanent domicile and Middlesex County Residency.
2. Proof of Immigration Status for Non-US Citizens and Non-US Permanent Residents
Documents demonstrating domicile in New Jersey for a period of 12 months prior to the first day of classes for a semester/session, based on dependent (dependent students must provide parent domicile information) or independent status requirements as outlined in the residency criteria section – one from item 3 or two from item 4 below:
3. One of the following documents
• Lease or Property Deed
• Property Tax Bill
4. Two of the following:
• Valid New Jersey motor vehicle license or registration
• New Jersey voter registration card
• New Jersey issued I.D. card
• Utility Bill or Bank/Credit Card Statement
• Copies of the student’s current year New Jersey income tax return or evidence of withholding New Jersey income tax, and/or copies of the parent’s(s’) or legal guardian’s(s’) New Jersey income tax return or evidence of withholding of New Jersey income tax
Two documents demonstrating residency for 30 days prior to the first day of classes for a semester/session in Middlesex County from item 5 below.
5. Two pieces of current business mail (postmarked/dated within the last 30 days), such as a bank/credit card statement or utility bill sent to the student. Personal mail or mail sent from MCC cannot be used. Mail sent to a P.O. Box will not be accepted; the address must verify a valid street address.
*Middlesex County College reserves the right to request any other supplementary documentation necessary to support the student's claim of domicile and/or county residency. A student may request reconsideration of domiciliary status at any time if the student's circumstances have changed. If a request for reconsideration results in eligibility for In-County tuition, the In-County rate shall not be retroactive but shall apply to charges for the next academic term. The institution's determination of a student's domicile is final.